Chimes International Mechanical Analysis – Multiple Locations, MD, DE, PA, VA
Allen + Shariff provided engineering services for the mechanical analysis of six facilities located in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Founded in 1947, Chimes is a not-for-profit organization that provides support for programs and services which enhance the quality of life for people with disabilities.
The scope was to review and identify mechanical system considerations specifically focused on minimizing transmission of viruses in the workplace. The basis of the study was the International WELL Building Institute’s WELL program. To identify design features relevant to reducing the spread of disease, the use of the WELL standards was selected as a starting point. Specifically, the mechanical standards which represent high impact design elements where the focus is primarily on directly impacting the influx or transfer of airborne pathogens.
HVAC systems review consisted of the following:
- Conducted a site survey (non-invasive visual observations, all testing was excluded).
- Interview with the building engineer regarding base building systems.
- Review of existing HVAC drawings.
- Performed HVAC calculations, specific areas included:
- Increasing of Outside Air Ventilation Rates
- Increasing Filtration Levels
- Options for UGVI systems.
- Provided summary report outlining recommendations.
Client: Alliance Architecture of Maryland, PC
Square Footage: 129,000
Services: Facility Assessment