Location: Salisbury, MD & Columbia, MD
Allen + Shariff is seeking a Vice President who would be responsible for the achievement of major key Company objectives, which include:
- Maintaining and enhancing A+S’s reputation for high quality design.
- Achieving A+S’s established profit objectives on all projects.
- Sustaining a continual pipeline of client work and, through effective management, avoiding potential financial and reputation losses associated with client dissatisfaction.
- Continually improving staff performance in terms of technical capability and production efficiency as these relate to employee satisfaction and company profit.
- Maintaining and improving quality control procedures as these relate to design, budget, and schedule objectives.
- This is not a remote position. In office is standard A+S policy.
The role of Vice President is a merging of technical, operational, and client-facing responsibilities. In summary, the role assumes ultimate accountability for the technical product leaving the assigned office, the financial performance of the assigned office, and the external view of Allen + Shariff with the clients of the
assigned office. Interwoven into the areas of overall accountability are the corporate responsibilities which come with being an executive within the firm.
The essential functions of the Vice President are as follows:
- Participates in the development and evaluation of project goals for the office.
- Ensures project managers and other team members understand the direction and goals of A+S and the office. Ensures that employees comprehend and accept goals and understand how they can contribute to the achievement of those goals.
- Builds relationships with present and prospective clients.
- Participates in proposal presentations and negotiations.
- Reviews and approves plans, programs, and budgets prepared by project managers, designers, and other employees working on projects.
- Counsels and supports project managers/employees in their execution of the projects.
- Promotes the adequate and proper utilization of the staff by project managers.
- Maintains frequent contacts with clients; debriefs and critiques project performance with team members.
- Ensures project managers prepare accurate job costing reports.
- Is acutely aware and takes personal ownership of all costs assigned to projects within his/her office. The Vice President takes ownership of the costs of the team and works to manage those costs, as appropriate, in support of the goals of the firm.
- Periodically evaluates project managers’ performance against the project operating plans, programs and budgets.
- Evaluates performance of project managers and other team members and recommends appropriate actions to the President – Engineering (salary adjustment, bonus, promotion, layoff, training, disciplinary action, etc.).
- Takes a leadership role in preparing proposals.
- Demonstrates results reflective of actively engaging clients in the pursuit of new opportunities. In addition to project meetings, the Vice President is spending ~50% (20 hrs / wk) of his/her time in client engaging capacities.
- Available as a primary call for consultation for the clients of his/her primary office, as well as other offices, at the request of his/her appropriate team member.
- Leads presentations to clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with at least 15 years of experience in engineering and 4 years with a PE license.
- Must have an in-depth understanding of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, as well as CAD operations.
- Must understand all appropriate codes and LEED requirements.
- Must have strong working knowledge and experience with the following software: word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software to effectively manage projects and project teams.
- Must have developed job knowledge, communication, leadership, planning, time management, teamwork, decision‐making, judgment, and problem-solving skills.
- PE certification required.
- Leadership role, related civic/professional organization.
- LEED certification preferred.
Think you have what it takes to join the Allen & Shariff team? Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Allen & Shariff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.