Allen + Shariff is seeking a Senior Plumbing and Fire Protection Designer. The Senior Designer works independently on various projects as assigned by a more senior leader. He/she may oversee the entire design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. This encompasses advanced calculations, systems analysis, quality control of finished projects, and field/construction coordination activities. This position will work on several concurrent projects, both in design and in construction.
- Assesses the requirements of a project and breaks a project into tasks. Works independently or with other team members to complete design.
- Writes specifications and ensures coordination of their preparation with other disciplines.
- Independently completes calculations for and develops full design of plumbing and fire protection systems, including full equipment selection, for all scales of projects.
- Meets with the project team of engineers and architects to discuss design for plumbing and fire protection scope, schedule, budget, phasing, and site issues.
- Extensive experience with system layout, calculations, and sizing of piping and equipment for plumbing and fire protection.
- Assists in the education and development of design staff and acts as resource for design questions.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of applicable building codes. Works with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required.
- Checks progress of work and alerts Project Manager to change of scope or additional services. Coordinates project scheduling with Project Manager.
- Works with architects, clients, and other engineering disciplines to coordinate systems during design.
- Reviews preliminary and final design with other disciplines for function, clearances, coordination, and final design selection.
- Has an extensive understanding of construction process. Conducts plumbing and fire protection construction administration, including shop drawing review, site visits, cost proposal evaluations, and response to questions from the field.
- Coordinates all aspects of project document completion within A+S and externally with clients and other design professionals. Represents Allen + Shariff with clients at design meetings.
- Conducts system analysis and comparisons with regard to economical and functional considerations.
- Produces due diligence and feasibility studies in support of client’s requirements on systems of all levels of complexity. May be called upon to provide on-site analysis and design recommendations based on existing conditions and client feedback.
- Possesses proficient written and oral communications skills.
- Promotes use of company design and production standards.
- Maintains neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
- Is actively involved in professional and trade associations and societies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This is not a remote position. In office is standard A+S policy.
- Solid knowledge of plumbing and fire protection design and trades. Considered an expert in the field of design.
- 7+ years of related experience in the design of plumbing and fire protection systems.
- Must understand all appropriate codes and LEED requirements. LEED certification preferred, but not required.
- Must have strong working knowledge and experience with the following software: AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Possesses proficient written and oral communications skills, and the ability to work well as part of a team.
- ASPE (American Society of Plumbing Engineers) required.
- CPD required.
Think you have what it takes to join the Allen & Shariff team? Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Allen & Shariff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.