Allen + Shariff is seeking a Plumbing and Fire Protection Designer. The Designer works independently on various projects as assigned by a more senior leader. He/she may oversee the entire design process or assist on team projects. This encompasses calculations, systems analysis, quality control of finished projects, and field/construction coordination activities. This position will work on several concurrent projects, both in design and in construction.
- Assesses the requirements of a project and breaks a project into tasks. Works independently or with other team members to complete design.
- Completes engineering design and associated calculations. Can calculate loads and estimate sizes and capacities of engineering systems.
- Has knowledge of basic systems applicable to the discipline. Can plan and draw basic layouts of engineering systems by hand and using CAD.
- Can recommend a selection of basic fixtures, equipment, and systems. Can discuss equipment selections with manufacturers’ representatives and other designers/engineers.
- Meets with the project team of engineers and architects to discuss design for plumbing and fire protection scope, schedule, budget, phasing, and site issues.
- Experience with system layout, calculations, and sizing of piping and equipment for plumbing and fire protection.
- Assists with editing of written specifications. Writes small project specifications as an individual.
- Performs site visits to determine a design direction, including making educated decisions on system designs and upgrades.
- Is familiar with all applicable codes based on level of experience. Contacts utility authorities, local regulatory agencies, etc. for conformance of design standards and requirements for obtaining service.
- Has an understanding of construction process based on level of experience. Conducts plumbing and fire protection construction administration, including shop drawing review, site visits, cost proposal evaluations, and response to questions from the field.
- Coordinates plan changes and details with the architect or client. Represents Allen + Shariff with clients at design meetings.
- Assists with preparation of project fee cost estimates and economic analysis of systems.
- Possesses proficient written and oral communications skills.
- Promotes use of company design and production standards.
- Maintains neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
- Is actively involved in professional and trade associations and societies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This is not a remote position. In office is standard A+S policy.
- Sound knowledge of plumbing and fire protection fundamentals and trades.
- Must understand all appropriate codes and LEED requirements. LEED certification preferred, but not required.
- Must have strong working knowledge and experience with the following software: AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Possesses proficient written and oral communications skills, and the ability to work well as part of a team.
- ASPE (American Society of Plumbing Engineers) CPDT, OR CPD, preferred.
Think you have what it takes to join the Allen & Shariff team? Send your resume to email@example.com.
Allen & Shariff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.