Needs Update to Designer Level
Allen + Shariff is seeking a mechanical designer to join our team. The designer works independently on various projects as assigned by a more senior leader. He/she is responsible for the preparation of contract documents and specifications. This encompasses advanced calculations, systems analysis, quality control of finished projects, and field/construction coordination activities. This position will work on several concurrent projects, both in design and in construction.
The essential functions of the Designer are as follows:
- Assesses the requirements of a project and breaks a project into tasks. Works independently or with other team members to complete design.
- Completes engineering design and associated calculations. Can calculate loads and estimate sizes and capacities of engineering systems.
- Has knowledge of basic systems applicable to the discipline. Can plan and draw basic layouts of engineering systems by hand and using CAD.
- Can recommend a selection of basic fixtures, equipment, and systems. Can discuss equipment selections with manufacturers’ representatives and other designers/engineers.
- Designs heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning systems related to a variety of building types.
- Assists with editing of written specifications. Writes small project specifications as an individual.
- Is familiar with all applicable codes based on level of experience. Contacts utility authorities, local regulatory agencies, etc. for conformance of design standards and requirements for obtaining service.
- Utilizes time and resources constructively when not under immediate supervision. Coordinates project schedules with team.
- Has an understanding of construction process based on level of experience. Reviews shop drawings and answers questions during construction.
- Coordinates plan changes and details with the architect or client. Represents Allen + Shariff with clients at design meetings.
- Assists with preparation of project fee cost estimates and economic analysis of systems.
- Possesses proficient written and oral communications skills.
- Promotes use of company design and production standards.
- Maintains neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
- Is actively involved in professional and trade associations and societies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This is not a remote position. In office is standard A+S policy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering with a mechanical focus. Associate’s degree from a technical or trade school will be considered with relevant work experience as a substitute for engineering degree.
- Strong working knowledge and experience with the following software: AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Demonstrated experience in making decisions, judgement, and effective problem solving.
- Excellent time management skills.
- EIT certification, or demonstration of intent to obtain EIT certification – A PLUS
Think you have what it takes to join the Allen + Shariff team? Send your resume to email@example.com.
Allen + Shariff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.